This pulav has all the attributes of a healthy meal. High in protein, minerals and fiber ! It is a dish which is tasty, nutritious and simple to make. Originally cultivated in the Mediterranean and the Middle East, chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, have spread their culinary influence to areas all over the world. Like other legumes such as beans, peas and lentils, chickpeas are prized for their high protein and fiber content, and also contain several key vitamins and minerals known to benefit human health. Ingredients: 1 cup Chickpeas 1 cup basmati rice (soaked for about 30 minutes) 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped) 1 medium potato (cubed) 1 medium tomato (finely chopped) 1 green chili (finely chopped) 2 cups water 1 tbsp ginger paste 1 tbsp garlic paste Handful of coriander (finely chopped) oil Salt to taste Ground Spices: 1 tsp turmeric powder 1 tsp red chilli powder 1 tsp Coriander powder Whole spices: 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds 6 black pepper 4 cloves 1 black cardamom ½ inch piece of cinnamon 2 bay leaves Method:
- Boil the Chickpeas till they are tender. Drain and keep aside.
- In another pan, heat the oil and add the roasted cumin seeds and the whole spices. Fry them for a few minutes.
- Now add the onions and green chilies. Sauté till it starts to turn brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and continue sautéing for a few minutes.
- Once the onions are fried well, add the chili powder and turmeric powder and cook till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes and the boiled Chickpeas and mix well.
- Add the pre-soaked rice, 2cups water and the salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook till water dries and the rice is cooked.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander.
Serve with coriander yogurt dip, green salad and a lime wedge. Serve with coriander yogurt dip, green salad and a lime wedge.