Goan Classic with a Parsi twist (note the potatoes)
This curry is one of my husbands’ favorite dishes. Instantly takes him back to his fond memories of home and Goa. The best part is that my 5 year old also loves this curry and its become a family special
Note the **TIPS** that I have mentioned alongside the recipe f
or a tastier curry !
Ingredients for the curry masala: 1 fresh Coconut 8-10 Kashmiri Chilies 2 tbsp dry coriander Seeds 2 tsp turmeric powder 2 tsp Jeera 2 tsp tamarind paste 1 garlic pod sufficient water to ground the masala into a paste Salt as per taste
Ingredients for curry: 150 gms cut Ladyfinger 2 large potatoes diced 200 gms medium deveined prawns 1 medium sized onion finely chopped 1 medium tomato finely chopped 1/2 inch ginger – grated 4 pieces of kokum 150 ml coconut milk 2 tbsp Oil
All the ingredients of the curry masala needs be a ground to a smooth paste. The curry masala has a nice appearance and aroma due to the Kashmiri chilies and the coconut)
**TIP** I roast this ground masala paste on a low flame till all the water evaporates. This gives a stronger taste to the entire curry. This also helps in cooking the coconut and all the other ingredients thus reducing the cooking time later on. You can also freeze this mixture in zip-lock bags for future use.
- In a thick bottomed pan put around 2 tbsp oil and sauté the chopped onion, tomato and grated ginger.
- Once the onion-tomato mixture is semi-cooked, put the prawns and diced potatoes in and stir a little so all of it gets evenly cooked.
- After the prawns are cooked, add the ground curry masala to it and stir it all together. Put the coconut milk depending on how thick/thin you want the curry to be.
- Add the kokum.
**TIP** You can also add water instead of coconut milk to make the curry less ‘coconuty’
- Let the curry simmer for around 5 minutes so that the tastes of the prawns and the masalas blend together. Add the cut ladyfingers to the curry and simmer till the ladyfingers are cooked
Serve with steamed rice and fried fish !! And you will feel like your truly in Goa !
- Serve with steamed rice and fried fish !! And you will feel like your truly in Goa !